Robotech: The Lost Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robotech: The Lost Universe

We celebrate the original 85, comics & novels and believe TSC does not exist.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
madmikechoi
zentraedi spy

Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda Empty
PostSubject: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 am

As per subject. Like Stan I'm old hand at Robotech having been online fandumb since Dave Deitrich's Georgia Tech list. Last I check Dave is some sort of cublcle monkey/engineer/Dilbert w/ Motorola but who knows if that company gave him the meataxe or he left the good graces of that establishment after the usual shenanigans ("Gimme a raise" Answer- "LOL no but you can get some free pens"). Then the mailing list went to auspcies of Rich "Stainless Steel Rat" Pieri (not... so good). And then it died until my buddy Arek was still working as admin geek for UIC in Shitcago and set up his own Linux box... which pretty much worked until the College of Social Work decided to dick him over hours so he had to find a real job. Now he fixes MRIs and PET scanners.

So like all the ye olde farts I remember when commerical subbed tapes was like forty bucks, remembered when only college computer labs only had CD burners, and getting anime meant going to college club meetings and sending out tapes rather than using torrents. Suffice it to say kids have it too easy these days and the quality of shows since the mid 90s hasn't impressed me. So sue me. That and anime cons thee days are overrun by Narutards and eejits in cat ears who need to be tasered. I know, I know- I should just hit the comic and sci fi con circuit and admit my neckbeard status.

As for Robotech. Eps- I held out until getting the blue Protoculture ed and even w/ BluRay is there anything that we haven't seen before? I refuse to mention the sequel or Sentinels...Comics- Eternity, Academy, Antarctic, and then DC and now on hiatus/dead. RPGs- Palladium had the license and then they dropped it and they reacquired it.
Back to top Go down
Dread
sentinel
Dread

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 1:25 am

Welcome, Mike. And yeah... You are really dating yourself, there, old graybeard.
Back to top Go down
madmikechoi
zentraedi spy

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 1:35 am

Dread wrote:
Welcome, Mike. And yeah... You are really dating yourself, there, old graybeard.

Dude BTDT. Got the T-shirt, was a roadie on the last tour, did the book deal and everything. To say I got serious time in grade is a serious understatement.

And yes the HG headquarters is still that same crap nondescript building on Sunset in West Hollywood. I'd drop on by and tell Tommy and Steve to ETADIK in person were it not for the fact they no doubt sincerely enjoy that kind of activity.

Yes I'm amongst the gimlet eyed crowd who just doesn't swallow Harmony Gold bullshit just b/c they say it's Toblerone. After all- fuck me once, shame on you. Fuck my twice- shame on me. Fuck me- three times- are you sure HG isn't part of the United States government? So naturally I expect any RT movie to be in development hell and/or dropped leaving said folks who bet on that particular donkey to make them some phat cash looking very short bus retarded.

Bottom line. I ain't really expecting anything in the pipeline. HG isn't going to crank out another OAV/movie or whatever until they can get cash flowing in from a finalized/done live action movie deal. Despite folks running their cakehole and how moto they sound this is far from done.
Back to top Go down
MechaGodzilla
Admin
MechaGodzilla

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 2:00 am

hey there and welcome to our humble abode Grin
Back to top Go down
http://www.theatlantechuniverse.com
Basara549
invid shock trooper
Basara549

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 am

Actually, Mad Mike and I go even further back than the internet....

I found an envelope a couple weeks ago, from a fan's early 90s attempt to restart the official Robotech Fan Club (the guy was actively petitioning HG), while also trying to get letter exchanges and maybe even an APA going for Robotech stuff, and Mike and I were both part of it, and I think he might have even sent me a letter during that mess.

Yeah, we're definitely old fogies...

"You kids have it too easy - we had to watch Ranma 1/2 RAW, using synopses, at clubs we had to drive 100 miles to get to, uphill both ways...."
Back to top Go down
http://home.kih.net/~sbundy/
Dread
sentinel
Dread

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 6:08 am

*snort*

The only reason I wasn't there was because I had no means to be involved, and was too young to afford the exhorbitant prices on the video tapes anyway. A young Army Private in those days made less than $1000 a month before taxes.
Back to top Go down
khoroshen
zentraedi
khoroshen

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 9:02 am

madmikechoi wrote:
Rich "Stainless Steel Rat" Pieri

*shudders and retreats to a fetal position*

Please don't mentioned that name again.

Apart from that, welcome to the site!
Back to top Go down
madmikechoi
zentraedi spy

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Quote :

The only reason I wasn't there was because I had no means to be involved, and was too young to afford the exhorbitant prices on the video tapes anyway. A young Army Private in those days made less than $1000 a month before taxes.

You still in or did you spray paint FTA on all the shitter stalls and throw your boots over the utility lines Razz?

The old school tape trading was generally tapes- you had to spend good cash to get higher quality shit and postage only. Turn around time could be around two months or so which is why clubs were the shit since back then the fansubbers would only deal w/ clubs (read schools). So your club prez or who the fuck over would hook up two VCRs together and voila- you got your shit. Or you could borrow the motherfucker and return them in time for the next club meeting. Dues were around ten bucks or so per semester and since it was school the geeks would actually score some cash/resources from the public coffers- using the school van/bus to grab every swinging dick and doing a daytrip to Little Tokyo or some bullshit, pizza party, fairs whatever...

Again seriously dating myself here but kids nowadays often annoy the piss out of me. I swear I need to go Walt Kowalski on some of these fuck knuckles running around anime cons these days.
Back to top Go down
madmikechoi
zentraedi spy

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 7:18 pm

khoroshen wrote:
madmikechoi wrote:
Rich "Stainless Steel Rat" Pieri

*shudders and retreats to a fetal position*

Please don't mentioned that name again.

Apart from that, welcome to the site!

You know if you look in the mirror and say his name three times he will appear in you sleep and kill you, right ? Grin
Back to top Go down
Dread
sentinel
Dread

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 am

Fuck knuckles... *laughing*

I'm in the Air Guard, now, and have actually seen more combat time here than I did in the Army.

I got a guy to record the entire Robotech series for me while I was in AIT out in Fort Eustis, VA. That was the first time I'd ever got to watch the whole thing. I wish I could remember who he was.
Back to top Go down
madmikechoi
zentraedi spy

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Dread wrote:

I'm in the Air Guard, now, and have actually seen more combat time here than I did in the Army.

I got a guy to record the entire Robotech series for me while I was in AIT out in Fort Eustis, VA. That was the first time I'd ever got to watch the whole thing. I wish I could remember who he was.

What? Didn't you learn from the first time you signed the contract? So how's the Article 15 NJP when you scream FUBIJAR at your chain of command ? Razz

Well when you got Air Guard guys running convoy/route security playing IED pinball, the EOD nutters running around, etc things tend to be different than the Reagan peacetime military of work Monday through Thursday, waste half the day on Friday and stagger through the gates passed out on Sunday afternoon
Back to top Go down
Dread
sentinel
Dread

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Oh, yeah... Things are very different from just the -90's.

I'm on 16 years and counting. I'm just counting the time till I finally get my Techsergeant, and then, I'f I'm lucky, I'll have my Master by the time this 6-year stint is over. I have to figure how my plan to go overseas as a civilian will play out in that...

You sound like you've got some time in the machine, too. What were you in?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda   Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda Empty

Back to top Go down

Intro, common courtesy, yadda yadda yadda
Page 1 of 1