Robotech: The Lost Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robotech: The Lost Universe

We celebrate the original 85, comics & novels and believe TSC does not exist.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

lol @ MavLSC

Go down 
+3
Brian3D
incisivis
MechaGodzilla
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MechaGodzilla
Admin
MechaGodzilla

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Quote :
As I feared memo, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles may have been too cerebral for most fans to take. Having a reknowned Hugo award winner and Hard SF writer of the caliber such as that of Robert J. Sawyer, might of been one reason why some fans cannot comprehend the hidden underlaying and subset that's hidden within the context of the plot.

I guess to really appreciated Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles you need to atleast have a masters degree, ethier that or dumb it down for the average otaku to comprehend for the next sequel in Robotech: Shadow Rising.

'Space whales or sniper mechs, anyone?

fucking LOL
I can see into the future and I predict... memo and mav will side with one another
against the evil haters!

for all your lulzy needs, here's the thread
http://www.robotechx.com/forums/7-robotech-games-and-media/9438-animation-on-display-videos.html?limit=10&start=20
be sure to stop by and tell him how "deep" you thought the story was! lol wut
Back to top Go down
http://www.theatlantechuniverse.com
incisivis
Haydonite
incisivis

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:09 pm

But...but...I love Robert J. Sawyer. oh shit
Back to top Go down
http://incisivis.livejournal.com
MechaGodzilla
Admin
MechaGodzilla

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Well now Mav claims his idiocy was a "parody" of seto kaiba... yeah sure
hes just butt hurt and needed some quick defense
Back to top Go down
Brian3D
invid shock trooper
Brian3D

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 am

Robert who? ;-)
Back to top Go down
mecha2241
sentinel
mecha2241

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 3:49 am

double face palm

Is there really anything left to say?
Back to top Go down
Seto Kaiba
invid shock trooper
Seto Kaiba

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:26 pm

happypenguins wrote:
be sure to stop by and tell him how "deep" you thought the story was! lol wut
Believe me, I would if I could...

Of course, Maverick would probably tell me that I must be uneducated because I've seen teaspoons with more depth than Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles.

incisivis wrote:
But...but...I love Robert J. Sawyer. oh shit
In that case, it should be rather fortunate for you that his name hasn't been sullied by direct association with RTSC.

happypenguins wrote:
Well now Mav claims his idiocy was a "parody" of seto kaiba... yeah sure
hes just butt hurt and needed some quick defense
Take note... the ONLY person who thought it was clever or funny was MEMO... Mr. Tuna Sombrero himself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.macross2.net/forums/
Basara549
invid shock trooper
Basara549

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 am

One could "Dumb down" TSC about the same way as one can take the square root of a negative number. It was written for people who never saw the original series, to be unable to notice the Unicron-sized continuity/plot holes in TSC.
Back to top Go down
http://home.kih.net/~sbundy/
MechaGodzilla
Admin
MechaGodzilla

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:59 am

Basara549 wrote:
One could "Dumb down" TSC about the same way as one can take the square root of a negative number. It was written for people who never saw the original series, to be unable to notice the Unicron-sized continuity/plot holes in TSC.

Well that much is obvious as I've seen people who never saw the original series, praise this film because its "anime" pardon me while I vomit

But that has to be the biggest downfall in my opinion, why be so focused on trying to get new fans?
When its the old fans who have supported the fucking franchise... talk about selfish..
maybe HG should just do their own shit and drop RT, but that's my opinion why ruin it any further?
Back to top Go down
incisivis
Haydonite
incisivis

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Huh.

You know, it's really weird to me to think of "Shadow Chronicles" as written for people who had never seen the original series. I always saw it as firmly mired in Robotech material, given that it's so clumsily taking place in media res.

Part of me thinks that Harmony Gold ought to have gone in this direction, since attracting new viewers to Robotech appears to be outright impossible, so they might as well market to that niche.
Back to top Go down
http://incisivis.livejournal.com
Seto Kaiba
invid shock trooper
Seto Kaiba

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Basara549 wrote:
Actually, that might be a bad analogy because it's entirely possible to take the square root of a negative number, whereas the stupidity of the Shadow Chronicles movie is truly indivisible and of such staggering magnitude as to defy quantification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number

happypenguins wrote:
But that has to be the biggest downfall in my opinion, why be so focused on trying to get new fans?
The answer to this one is actually so obvious most people overlook it...

Harmony Gold is focusing on bringing as many new fans as possible into the Robotech franchise and keeping them largely ignorant of the old Robotech TV series because they know full well that there's no legal way for them to give the majority of long-time Robotech fans what they want. What those long-time Robotech fans want is, was, and probably always will be "The continuing adventures of Rick Hunter". Of course, Harmony Gold knew as far back as Robotech II: the Sentinels that there was no way for them to use the Macross mecha and character designs, so the outcome of the whirlwind of litigation they inadvertently started ten years ago should've come as no surprise... there's simply no way for them to make a new animated or live-action project using the familiar designs of the Macross Saga. It just can't be done. It's pretty much a given that they don't want to re-do Robotech II: the Sentinels because no matter what format they tried to tell the story in it inevitably failed and was scorned by the fans. Keeping the story as far removed from Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Robotech II: the Sentinels as humanly possible is their best bet for selling the story to a new generation of ignorant viewers who've never even heard of Robotech before.

Unfortunately for them, this plan has a fatal flaw in that we have the internet now, so anyone and their dog can look up Robotech and see the grisly truth of its origins, then decide they don't want that shit and go on to something more wholesome like Macross.
Back to top Go down
MechaGodzilla
Admin
MechaGodzilla

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 6:57 pm

meh well they are marketing towards the general audience of anime fans, which is why the designs are so fucking generic and lifeless...
and sadly on Deviantart I came across the movies biggest fan! And guess what? He knows nothing about the original series, but became a fan because of that shit movie face palm i just hope that once they see the movie and then take an interest in RT, they will come to find that original series is better.
Back to top Go down
Seto Kaiba
invid shock trooper
Seto Kaiba

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 3:36 am

happypenguins wrote:
i just hope that once they see the movie and then take an interest in RT, they will come to find that original series is better.
In this day in age, that may prove to be a slippery slope...

As you are no doubt already aware, the overwhelming majority of Robotech fans care about one (and only one) Robotech saga... the Macross Saga. Now that we have things like the internet and fan-sub groups who are perfectly capable of producing a professional-quality set of subtitles for the Macross shows that Harmony Gold has been desperately trying to prevent us from importing, it's no stretch to imagine that a frustrated new Robotech fan who wants to see more stuff like the Macross Saga could say "fuck this noise" and decide that it's much easier simply to pursue Macross instead, since they're virtually guaranteed a higher quality product than the mediocre pap that Harmony Gold is churning out at a glacial pace.
Back to top Go down
whitehall l33t
zentraedi spy

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 2:53 am

(Ramble Warning in effect)

I am thinking that Seto may have hit the nail on the head.

What I remember of Robotech from the 80s when I originally watched the show was Macross episodes, New Generation Episodes, and that was it. Note... I was only about 5 or 6 back then, and I did not see another lick of Robotech until i was about 10 and found the Jack McKinney novels.

Nowadays I am really interested in watching the Robotech Masters saga again, once I rebuy the series, that is where I will probably head back to. This is some combination of it being the series that I didn't know as well as the others and just it being "different" ya know?

The point that I am getting at, and really probably thinking about for the first time, is that the Robotech story is a story of generations... and if that story cannot be continued in a quality and reasonable manner then ya, the fans should move to Macross or just accept that the franchise is at an end.

The "japanimation" scene of the early 80s was very different than the Anime scene that we experienced in the late 90s and early 2000s... back then I dont think they had any clue that it could be important to look past the one series and the potential of a fandom still existing 25 years later. Then again, the Munsters, Addams Family, The Flintstones, and MASH had fandoms that stretched well past the original runs of the shows... so maybe they did, or maybe they should have planned. I really don't know what they were thinking,, it would be interesting to get an answer to that though.

What I really think that HG was trying to do with TSC was reboot the property with the "film" aka OVA, use that to pitch for an animated series, and then build from there. Why else would the film of had an ending that left the audience asking, "whats next?". What really comes into question for me, and I dont know if we will ever get the real answer.. is what happened to the production of Shadow Rising or the new series? Easy money is that they couldnt get a buyer or the funds to do a new series.. but Shadow Rising really should have been out in 2008 or early 2009. Whether we like the movie or not, apparently TSC generated some momentum for the franchise, and one would think that HG would have wanted to capitalize on that sooner than later. The idea that the RLAM completely halted production / delayed the release by years really does not make any sense. Its like the Transformers analogy... the animated series is separate from the films is separate from the comics... one does not need to hold up the other.

And ya know, I think this is really what frustrates and maddens me over HG. Kevin, Memo, Mav.. they all act like Robotech and HG are some flawless entity... that everything is fine and perfect and going ahead according to plan, and why would anyone question how things are going? They act like TSC was this great amazing film, that the fact it was project onto a screen makes it some great theatrical film... that it has sold thousands upon thousands of copies..and that everyone who saw the preview images and criticized them was proven completely wrong since TSC is such an "amazingly successful film".

I really, really have to disagree with them. Shadow Rising has gone from, "oh the RLAM will not affect it at all" to "well, we have to make sure SR and RLAM don't contradict each other and SR will probably be released in conjunction with the RLAM". That is a serious change in policy, unless HG originally planned to release SR around 2012, or 2013 at the earliest.. and lets be honest.. no matter how foolishly one may think they manage the franchise... they wouldnt be foolish enough to do that. Also.. I could take any of those Disney Afternoon shows that had a continuous story line through their first few episodes aka their pilots (think Rescue Rangers), splice them together and shoot it through a projector, but that does not make it a theatrical release or a high quality movie. Its just the pilot being shot on a big screen. When I saw Xenosaga episodes at Tekkoshocon on a 20 foot screen, I did not call that a theatrical presentation.. it was just showing an animated project on a screen large enough for a large audience. Kevin can spin it all he wants as some great theatrical release.. but lets be honest, it was just putting it on a screen big enough to show at conventions and festivals to drum up interest and sell some more copies.

All I really want from HG is some honesty. Lay your cards on the table, state your case for where SR is, what the real legal standings are and how they will effect RLAM, and how you would like to grow the franchise going forward. I once was called a liar and bullshitter by Kevin for saying I wanted to help grow the franchise into something better. I had stated my case that I had to wonder if HG was just stringing the fans along with the crappy merchandise in the website store, an out of date website, the overpriced repainted toys (a concept that Memo is on record as supporting), the promises but no proof of SR. I hit a nerve, and I really do not apologize for that, especially when you can compare what HG is doing with Robotech to what WEP is doing with Voltron. Voltron supports fan projects, has art projects and a much better selection of T-shirts, a minis game in the works, an I-phone game, a modern website, and admins and moderators that are civil and nice. When that animated series comes out this fall (which it looks like it will) I am really looking forward to supporting that. When I look at how the Three Amigos rule over the Robotech franchise... I can not say that I feel the same way.
Back to top Go down
MechaGodzilla
Admin
MechaGodzilla

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 am

would be nice if HG was honest, but they know that honesty would probably piss a lot of fans off and the fanbase would decrease.. well not like it hasnt, but cause more of an uproar. We know the LAM cant use the macross designs and we also know we wont be seeing any macross characters in future installments... but like I said, why would Hg admit that? macross saga is the most popular, its their cash cow.. no macross = decrease in fandom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lol @ MavLSC Empty
PostSubject: Re: lol @ MavLSC   lol @ MavLSC Empty

Back to top Go down

lol @ MavLSC
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Robotech: The Lost Universe :: Welcome Center :: Small Talk :: P.A.H.G-
Jump to: