Robotech: The Lost Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robotech: The Lost Universe

We celebrate the original 85, comics & novels and believe TSC does not exist.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Don't know why I waste my time

Go down 
+5
incisivis
Basara549
madmikechoi
Seto Kaiba
whitehall l33t
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
whitehall l33t
zentraedi spy

Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 1:10 am

First topic message reminder :

So every once in a while I poke my head in back at RT.com and I look at what I left behind.. and Ya.. not overly exciting!

What I am trying to figure out though, and maybe this really is just the insanity that grips hold of the mods....

Why do Fric and Frac continuously tie Shadow Rising to the RLAM? Its like "oh.. if you question HG regarding SR and they finally give in, then you will have destroyed the RLAM because WB is gonna be pissed" or something to that effect.

I seriously don't even know why WB would even care about some craptastic OVA that HG wants to put out. The RLAM is apparently a re-envisioning of Robotech anyways... so there is no connection whatsoever..

Best I can figure is maybe, just maybe, if there is any credence at all to what those two fools are yapping about... WB doesn't want the franchise to be tarnished by crappy film, and that is why they may care at all about it and its release.

Shame no one cared about Highlander that much when they released #5... but hopefully the reboot next year will fix all that.. and we will finally see the game from Eidos.

(Wow... there are a ton of franchises all going through similar issues with their own dedicated fan bases.. i wonder how many are as crazy as the RT fans can be?)
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Basara549
invid shock trooper
Basara549

PostSubject: Re: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 12:36 am

Seto Kaiba wrote:
madmikechoi wrote:
Robotech had serious flaws but for all Macek-is-the-Anti-Christ-and-Whore-of-Babylon-spiel HG was still castrated by the need to go off English scripts/guidelines provided by Tatsunoko and the need to link to 3 different TV series together and meet US guidelines for children's programming (not tits or four lettered words despite the fact that the word fuck is used as an apostrophe in any military unit worth its salt and combat arms formations seem to be run on pr0n and endless bullshit).
I'm sorry to have to dig a massive hole in your attempted defense of Harmony Gold and Carl Macek, but the portion of text I've put in bold print in your quotation is an outright falsehood. It's simply not true. In actual fact, it was not the initial Robotech dub that was forced to use a Tatsunoko-supplied script (the original, aborted Macross dub is proof enough of that), but rather during the production of the Robotech VHS "Perfect Collection" it was the group working on the uncut, subtitled Macross episodes that was forced to use a highly inaccurate Macross script supplied not by Tatsunoko, but by Carl Macek's company Streamline Pictures.

Why do YOU, Seto,keep insisting the TRUTH is a falsehood, and misrepresenting the facts as stated?

I have told to you, what the people who worked on the Streamline & Animeigo scripts told me FIRST-HAND that CONFIRMS Mike's statement.

POINT-BLANK, and UNALTERABLE

The original scripts provided to HG were TRANSLATED BY TATSUNOKO. PERIOD.

The original HG Scripts for Robotech were grounded in them, by Tatsunoko's directive, but were given some leeway in that the scripts had to be rewritten into a story combining two unrelated series.

Streamline's scripts were also based on them, but Neil did his best to rewrite the translations in such a way as to not upset the applecart at Tatsunoko while making them moderately more accurate.

Only with Animeigo was Neil (and the others) able to retranslate the scripts from scratch.
Back to top Go down
http://home.kih.net/~sbundy/
madmikechoi
zentraedi spy

PostSubject: Re: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 2:22 am

Seto Kaiba wrote:

Eh, insofar as the rights to the intellectual property of Macross's original series, Warner doesn't seem to be at all interested in even trying.

They're WB- I think they've got the lawyers, guns and money to fend off anything other than an AMERICA, FUCK YEAH invasion.

If Big West, Nue or some other folks come screaming out of the woodwork like a bunch of furfag hippies Warner Brothers will either bribe them or make the other side wish they took la mordida.

[quote]
It might have something to do with Studio Nue and Big West's track record for snubbing HG and their partners when such licensing talks have been proposed in the past... seems to have something to do with an at-best dubiously legal US trademark on the name "Macross" Harmony Gold filed for shortly after it was confirmed by the Japanese courts that Tatsunoko had no control over the licensing of any Macross shows except the original... basically Harmony Gold was demanding all Macross licensing go through them and that they get a cut, as a way for them to keep the competition out of the states.;/quote]

And HG's claims hasn't really stopped Macross toys from flowing into this country one form or the other. Or artbooks. In fact w/ Macross 2 and Macross Plus both licensed in North America, Tommy Yune can't do fucking shit. The only reason why Macross 7 hasn't come across the Pacific is the muzhak rights. Macross Frontier is fairly new and probably same standnards apply. IOW some how or the other throughout the years performers get a cut big enough for their performances that it affects getting aired in other countries.

Quote :

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

A series that just trolls the shit out of its viewers.

Quote :

No kidding, though from what I've heard the one popular (:gag:) show that has truly been edited with a heavy hand has been Pocket Monsters, with the excision of more material than one could readily shake a stick at, including something like a dozen entire episodes because of relatively minor things like a horrible cowboy caricature pointing a gun at the protagonist, or the editors thinking one of the monsters looked like a performer in blackface and that the audience might think it would be racist.

OTOH it keeps the phat cash rolling in for Nintendo so even they realize there are local standards to be held accountable to.

In the end, if you don't like the shit buy DVDs or watch fansubs.
Back to top Go down
Seto Kaiba
invid shock trooper
Seto Kaiba

PostSubject: Re: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 2:49 am

Basara549 wrote:
Why do YOU, Seto,keep insisting the TRUTH is a falsehood, and misrepresenting the facts as stated?
To put it bluntly... I'm insisting that what you're saying is false because it's an unsubstantiated claim based on hearsay with no supporting evidence of any kind. All we have is your word for it, and as I'm about to illustrate, you're nothing like a reliable source of information.

Basara549 wrote:
I have told to you, what the people [...] told me FIRST-HAND that CONFIRMS Mike's statement.
Y'see... this pretty much sank your argument as hearsay right off the bat without me even needing to dig out the ironclad evidence to the contrary. Let's look at this remark of yours: You're telling us what you think someone told you at a convention panel you barely remember. When prompted for what con, you couldn't even remember what year it'd occurred in. Right here, you've proven your memory is not exactly reliable in terms of the details, and the claim you're making is very similar, though unrelated, to the established, well-documented fact that Streamline did force the use of their badly-translated script on the editors of the Robotech Perfect Collection, a script which Tatsunoko had no involvement in.

Basara549 wrote:
The original scripts provided to HG were TRANSLATED BY TATSUNOKO. PERIOD.

The original HG Scripts for Robotech were grounded in them, by Tatsunoko's directive, but were given some leeway in that the scripts had to be rewritten into a story combining two unrelated series.
And now, as promised, I will prove the above assertion to be false using citations from official publications, which isn't exactly difficult.

Excerpt from Robotech Art 3, Page 6
"The goal was to study the work and adapt the visual style and storytelling direction into an approximation of the original while also making the stories accessible to a mass audience. Tatsunoko understood the difficulty of the task and allowed Harmony Gold free reign in their adaptation."

Here you have, from no less a man than Carl Macek himself, that Harmony Gold was not compelled to use a script supplied by Tatsunoko, nor were they only granted limited latitude in adapting that script. They were given a free reign to do as they wished by Tatsunoko. At no point in Robotech Art 1, Robotech Art 3, or the Carl Macek foreword in The Art of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles is any mention made of Tatsunoko forcing Harmony Gold to use a script they provided, and the claim that they were limited in their ability to make changes was explicitly disproved in Robotech Art 3. Now that being said, we have to examine the verifiable facts we have here... we can't ANY evidence to validate ANY of your claims, and at least one of them (if not both) is explicitly ruled out by Carl Macek in an official publication. You'd think a handicap as major as being forced to use a shoddy script from an outside source and being limited in the changes they could make would be mentioned at least once in one of the many publications covering Robotech's production history... but nobody seems to know anything about it... not even Harmony Gold.
Razz

Basara549 wrote:
Streamline's scripts were also based on them, but Neil did his best to rewrite the translations in such a way as to not upset the applecart at Tatsunoko while making them moderately more accurate.

Only with Animeigo was Neil (and the others) able to retranslate the scripts from scratch.
Again, untrue... there is no factual basis for your statement. It is, however, accurate to say that Neil Nadelman and co. were forced to use a highly inaccurate script supplied by Streamline, which they were forbidden to "inject their 'interpretations' upon" because it "reflected the true intentions of the original writer", in the production of the subtitled episodes for the Robotech perfect collection. It is once again noteworthy that remarks about the alleged Tatsunoko script are conspicuous by their absence, appearing in none of the print sources regarding the project.

So what we're faced with here is a series of extremely questionable, unsubstantiated claims you've made based on (possibly misremembered) hearsay with no supporting factual basis of any kind. You have been able to produce no evidence to support your claim... nor has anyone else, for that matter. I'm sorry, but "take my word for it" just isn't going to cut it. No, there is no evidence that what you're claiming is true or even close to the truth, therefore it's false. The logic behind this should be simple enough.

-------------------------------------------

madmikechoi wrote:
They're WB- I think they've got the lawyers, guns and money to fend off anything other than an AMERICA, FUCK YEAH invasion.
I think it's simple greed at work, they'd much rather not have to pay royalties to Big West and Studio Nue as well. They want something they'll own free and clear.

madmikechoi wrote:
If Big West, Nue or some other folks come screaming out of the woodwork like a bunch of furfag hippies Warner Brothers will either bribe them or make the other side wish they took la mordida.
Take a course in copyright law sometime if you get a free moment... the law lends itself to certain brutal defenses that would let Big West and Studio Nue do quite a number on Warner if Warner chose to use Macross designs without their consent. They've already proven they don't really give a tinker's damn about what little money they might make by licensing their stuff in the US, so I don't think Warner'll be able to buy them off, and if they used Big West's IP without their consent, the lawsuit would be pretty much the very image of an open-and-shut case.

madmikechoi wrote:
And HG's claims hasn't really stopped Macross toys from flowing into this country one form or the other. Or artbooks. In fact w/ Macross 2 and Macross Plus both licensed in North America, Tommy Yune can't do fucking shit. The only reason why Macross 7 hasn't come across the Pacific is the muzhak rights. Macross Frontier is fairly new and probably same standnards apply. IOW some how or the other throughout the years performers get a cut big enough for their performances that it affects getting aired in other countries.
Not even close to accurate, sorry... Macross II and Macross Plus were licensed to US companies in the 90s, a good 6-8 years before Harmony Gold ever obtained the US trademark that would've enabled them to stop Macross licensing like they're doing now. The cost of music licensing is one reason Macross 7 hasn't been brought over, but the trademark is the ultimate roadblock preventing licensing, since not going through Harmony Gold for approvals before distributing in the US would be a violation of their trademark protection on the name.
Back to top Go down
http://www.macross2.net/forums/
whitehall l33t
zentraedi spy

PostSubject: Another knockdown dragout   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:20 pm

I dont know if this has spilled over to robotechx.com or not, but there is a pretty good fight going on between disenfranchised fans and Kevin McKeever over in the Shadow Rising production thread at RT.com

Peep named Achu is putting up a helluva fight against Kev and Memo, and i gotta say im proud of the boy!

Best part so far is from Kev:

"Also I have never said it was actively in production its is in active development."

and if that dont sound like Dev hell to you, i dont know what does!

I def suggest checking it out if you want a good read.
Back to top Go down
MechaGodzilla
Admin
MechaGodzilla

PostSubject: Re: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 pm

whitehall l33t wrote:
I dont know if this has spilled over to robotechx.com or not, but there is a pretty good fight going on between disenfranchised fans and Kevin McKeever over in the Shadow Rising production thread at RT.com

Peep named Achu is putting up a helluva fight against Kev and Memo, and i gotta say im proud of the boy!

Best part so far is from Kev:

"Also I have never said it was actively in production its is in active development."

and if that dont sound like Dev hell to you, i dont know what does!

I def suggest checking it out if you want a good read.

link?
Back to top Go down
http://www.theatlantechuniverse.com
whitehall l33t
zentraedi spy

PostSubject: Re: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 5:46 pm

link to the goodness:

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=1891046&forumid=31&pagenumber=22

starts about halfway down.

Memo is currently making 0 sense.

Love the fact that when Kev talked about SR on Hulu the guy pointed ot the MINIMAL competition it faces for animated films.
Back to top Go down
MechaGodzilla
Admin
MechaGodzilla

PostSubject: Re: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:14 pm

whitehall l33t wrote:
link to the goodness:

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=1891046&forumid=31&pagenumber=22

starts about halfway down.

Memo is currently making 0 sense.

Love the fact that when Kev talked about SR on Hulu the guy pointed ot the MINIMAL competition it faces for animated films.

lmao that guy needs to come here
and dear god I see doug bendo chiming in..
Back to top Go down
Broody

PostSubject: Re: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 12:29 am

this post has tricked me into logging in to the sad place called RT.com... wah
Back to top Go down
MechaGodzilla
Admin
MechaGodzilla

PostSubject: Re: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 6:38 am

Broody wrote:
this post has tricked me into logging in to the sad place called RT.com... wah

aw, you have my condolences
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't know why I waste my time   Don't know why I waste my time - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't know why I waste my time
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2